The concept of Internet of Things (IOT) is not something new. It was developed in 1999 by Gevin Ashton at the Massachusetts Institute Laboratory (MIT), researching radio frequency identification sensors.
Due to the miniaturization of devices, the increase in processing capacity and the improvement of wireless communication networks, the Internet of Things has been staying and is gaining more and more space in the digital transformation.
Several aspects determine the type of technology that will be used in process monitoring. The main aspects to consider are:
• Remote power consumption of the device – Electric or Battery
• Number of readings required per day
• Number of variables to be measured
• Type of network to be used
• Connection characteristics of remote devices with other equipment
• Consideration of the area and place of installation
Considering all these factors, we will determine the type of Monitoring most appropriate to the process:
• Basic Monitoring – The remote data collection device connects directly to the Internet.
• Advanced Monitoring – The Remote Module connects to intelligent equipment that controls the process, for example, a PLC Programmable Logic Controller or other type of equipment that communicates with the equipment through specific protocols.
• Monitoring over Remote Local Networks – When multiple sensors need to be monitored remotely, it is possible to establish a wireless local network connected to a gateway which, in turn, will be responsible for transmitting all information to the internet.
Main benefits of IOT solutions:
• Mobility and Total Access to Information: the data that is downloaded is available via the mobile phone or the Internet.
• Resource optimization and loss prevention by instantly identifying critical situations
• Better Management and Quality
• Savings in Logistics and Communication: Substantial improvement in planning, avoiding urgent deliveries and cargo return, optimizing fleet displacement.
• Emergency Management and Early Warning: Allows you to gain precious minutes for your team to solve or avoid problems
• Automatic alarm receipts
• Predictive Maintenance through the implementation of Machine Learning